As a certified teacher, an engineer in Hillsboro's high-tech industry, a 14-year resident of the Hillsboro area, and father of a two-year-old child, I believe I am uniquely qualified to help steer Hillsboro schools in the right direction in these difficult times.
My qualifications include:
- Experience teaching at the middle and high school levels, including Phillips Academy, Northfield-Mt.Hermon, and the American School in Switzerland;
- College-level teaching at Portland State University and the University of Phoenix Online;
- Experience as chair of an IEEE subcommittee designing international engineering standards;
- B.A. in mathematics, with a minor in education, from Princeton University, and an M.S. in computer science from Carnegie Mellon University;
- Experience as a volunteer English teacher to immigrants to the Hillsboro area; and
- Host of a free educational podcast, "Math Mutation", rated 4.5 stars on iTunes.
Our children's education is more essential than ever. I feel the priorities of the Hillsboro school district need to be directed towards these critical goals:
1. Measurable Results. The primary goal of the school system is to teach our children. Tough choices must be based on real data about what is and is not effective to achieve this end.
2. Freedom To Innovate. Teachers need the freedom to do their jobs effectively, taking advantage of new ideas when they truly have promise. In addition, we must continue to encourage charter schools, enabling expanded opportunities for students, parents, and teachers.
3. Leverage Technology Responsibly. Living in the Silicon Forest gives us access to many technological tools. However, we need to look carefully at technology expenditures and ensure that we are not just following popular trends, but pursuing key educational goals.
For all these reasons, please vote for Erik Seligman for the Hillsboro school board. If you have any questions, please email me at email@example.com. I deeply appreciate your support.